Friday, December 18, 2015

For Christmas - Inspirational short stories



Inspirational short stories
 
 Faith without action is dead!

 I had just graduated and started working in the pastorate, married to a wonderful woman, with two small daughters.  We were poor, destitute.  My salary as a junior pastor was minimal; we lived in a house, provided for by the church and were grateful for this. 

My wife Doreen worked at the local school as a teacher, her salary was also modest.  We never complained and were always grateful for whatever we had to eat.  I remember some nights we had potatoes and bread or cabbage and bread.  No matter what we ate, Doreen always served the meal with a smile and gratitude.  Although living in severe conditions, we always remained grateful and happy as a family no matter what occurred. 

We were almost married for seven years and during this time, Doreen being such a humble person, not once complained or tried to change our circumstances, her faith was firmly in our Lord, believing he would supply all our needs.  It was true, Our Lord always did. Doreen knew how much I loved the Lord and serving him was the most important factor in my life.  I loved my family and the support they gave me.   Her love and support during my training encouraged me to continue serving the Lord with all my heart.

Doreen's birthday was approaching and I desperately wanted to give her a special birthday present and started saving a few pennies each month. Keeping this small amount of money each month was tough, feeding the family and providing for their needs were a top priority.

During this time, I petitioned the Lord for my request to be met.  I read scripture relating to faith and listened to sermons enthusiastically.  I expected a miracle and I took my entire savings, two dollars and asked the Lord to multiply this.

Three days before her birthday, Doreen and I discussed her special day and I asked her what would bring the most joy to her on this day.  Doreen, sitting beside me, took my hand and looked lovingly into my eyes, told me how much she loved me and having her having her family over for tea would be wonderful.  I wondered where we would find money for cake and not wanting to take the joy from her, told her I would arrange this.

It was a pleasant day, the weather was warm, the sun shining and Doreen's birthday had arrived, she had left for work and the children were at school.  I thanked the Lord for the two dollars and asked for guidance in choosing the best gift I could. 

I walked towards the new mall built about two months ago.  I stood near an entrance, not a regular visitor, wondered what shop to visit.  While deciding, I noticed a huge hypermarket advertising various specials.  Standing still watching the door of this store, I felt guilty.  Perhaps my request from the Lord was selfish and that I should learn to be grateful for all that, I already have.  Silently, I asked the Lord to forgive me and guide me to buy the right gift.  I knew that whatever I had would be sufficient and I knew that the Lord would guide me. 

I entered the shop, stood still looked around the massive display for a moment,  wondering what section I should go to, when a few people came up to me, with champagne and flowers congratulating me.  I was shocked, unsure of what was happening.  After a while, I was told that I was the millionth person to visit the store since the opening and had won a gift of ten thousand dollars. 

I was astounded, never in my entire life had I owned that much money.  I was speechless for a moment and as I realized that this was my miracle from our Lord, I said thank you, Lord.  The store staff waited for me to regain my senses and took me with them to the offices, where I was presented with a gift voucher for five thousand dollars and the other in cash. 

I was shaking, holding all this money; I did not know what to do with all of this.  A very friendly woman named Dora asked me if she could assist me.  I accepted her help and explained to her what I wanted to do. 

I asked for permission to use the phone and called Doreen's sister Estelle.  I asked her to bring her entire family, Doreen's whole family and friends to our home late in the afternoon, as I was planning a surprise party.  I then called Doreen and asked her what time she would be home.  She said a little later than usual, as she had to stand in for a teacher who was absent that day.  I said it was fine and looked forward to seeing her later.

Dora and I shopped, for about two hours.  I bought the best and most expensive food, with cakes and pastries and all sorts of delightful goodies.  We went to the jewelry counter, found the most exquisite diamond ring with small rubies on each side, I knew the correct size and bought it.  I bought perfume and lots of other pleasantries. 

Dora arranged transport to my house and helped me organize everything.  After she had left, I went to the church building and spoke to the senior pastor, offered my tithe on the winnings and gave thanks to the Lord.

I phoned Doreen's sister and asked her to come over early to help prepare for the party.  Estelle arrived and we made sure the apartment was decorated in delightful colors and that everything was just perfect.  Her parents and family came and then we waited for Doreen.  It was three o'clock when we saw Doreen walking towards the door.  As she opened up the door, we shouted, surprise. After everyone had wished her, I asked if I could say a few words,  I handed the ring to Doreen and said, when I married you, I could not afford such a luxury and now with all my love give this to you as a token of my love. It was a wonderful party and we all had a great time.  Doreen and I spent the rest of our winnings wisely on items we actually needed, we even managed to save a few dollars for a rainy day.

It is good to believe and have faith in a great God.  Never doubt the greatness of the Lord.  Even when I had waited until the day of the party, without any answer from the Lord, I showed gratitude and accepted that the best would be done no matter what the circumstance.   Having faith without action is not trusting the Lord.  Trust the Lord and He will deliver you.   Never doubt no matter what.   God is good; God is good all the time!


No comments:

Post a Comment