Sunday, April 28, 2013

OUR DOG ISAIAH

Hello everybody,
A new and beautiful Sunday is upon us and I do hope everybody is having a great time.

I have posted 5 chapters of my soon to be published novel - The Anglurian Story, Book 2 - Sipho and the Golden Nails. I sincerely hope you have enjoyed the story so far and honest comments are always welcome. I do intend to share a few more chapters of the novel with you, but this week I thought I would share the short story of my dog Isaiah,the three Dachshund's,and their photos. Enjoy.

OUR DOG ISAIAH
Dogs are known to be a man's best friend, and I could not agree more. They are a pleasure to have and care for. Over the years, we have always had several dogs, living with us into old age until they passed away. We recently lost our lovable Jack Russell, named McGuyver, who was part of our family for over twelve years, and for the first time we had no dog. We were fortunate to get a Dachshund puppy called Cleo. A fun loving, energetic dog and intelligent too.

Much to our delight, she was pregnant; we waited in anticipation for the birth of her puppies. She was small and I often wondered if she would be able to have more than two puppies. In the early hours of the morning on the 2nd of September 2005, she screeched with pain, the time had come for her to give birth. We anxiously watched over her as she gave birth, not to two but to six puppies. The puppies were all black, each with a brown spot on their ears. After her tiring ordeal, we moved Cleo and her puppies to a comfortable and clean basket, and stood watching as this tiny dog, mothered her little babies.
As the weeks went by, we discovered that Cleo had three boys and three girls. We were able to find good homes for four of the puppies and decided to keep the other two. One little puppy, the biggest of the litter was dominant and made sure she was first to be fed, always comfortable and asserted her dominance all the time. I liked her and my son Robert, in particular, preferred a smaller puppy that had the longest ears. After six weeks, the remaining puppies left our home.
We named the dominant little puppy 'Cheeky', she would follow me wherever I went, and soon become snappy and found her difficult to deal with, whenever the other dogs came to close to me. Robert gave the smaller puppy the appropriate name 'Ears', since her ears were the longest of the entire litter.

Ears resting.
For years, the three Dachi's were firm favorites and brought much joy into our lives. Cheeky a possessive dog made sure she was first at everything, eating, sleeping, and playing. A good watchdog and alert at all times. They loved being with people, socialization being a part of their nature. Occasionally they became lazy, and we would need to persuade them to go outside and exercise. Cleo and Ears learned to ignore Cheeky and remained pleasant lovable dogs.
Cheeky watching!
During July last year, on a cold Saturday morning, Cleo woke up and could not move. I had no idea what the problem could be, and took her to the vet. The doctors diagnosed Cleo with Spinal disc dislocation (paralysis), and said it would be better to euthanize her, since no cure was available. I cried I could not believe what I was hearing. They gave her an injection for the pain, and said we had until Monday to decide. She stayed in hospital. We went home depressed and sad. While sipping on a cup of tea, I remembered a friend who was well informed about animals, I called her at once. She gave me the name of a vet in Pretoria, who was confident would be able to save little Cleo. I immediately phoned and fortunate to find him still at work. He told me to bring Cleo in and he would try to save her. We hurried off to the local vet to fetch Cleo; they were not impressed with our decision to move her, but we managed to persuade them to let us take her out. We finally had Cleo and tried our best to keep her calm during the long drive to Pretoria.
Arriving early Saturday afternoon, the vet immediately took Cleo, did some x-rays and called us in to explain the details regarding the procedure. He would operate immediately and assured us that she would be fine, and be able to go home within seven days. We were ecstatic! Our little Cleo would be saved. We left her in the capable hands of the doctors and went home.
The following week, we went back to Pretoria to fetch our Cleo, the vet told us, that because of her age her recovery would be slow. Disappointed that she could not come home with us, but realistic about the need for specialized care, we left her at the animal hospital for another six weeks. Finally, we could take her home, with many instructions from the hospital on how to take care of her. We agreed and left the vet, when we arrived at home the other Dachi's were excited, the noise from their howling was deafening. Cleo was excited to be home, and immediately we started with her new routine. She found it difficult to walk for any length of time, and climbing stairs was a problem. We helped and built a small ramp over the stairs and over the next two months, her recovery was amazing. To date, she remains a healthy dog and the only set back is jumping up on the bed. She now manages to climb up and down stairs without a problem.
I lived alone with my son Robert, being a robust youngster; he was out with friends every weekend. The dogs were not young anymore, and soon would tire and spend part of the day sleeping.
Cleo and Ears
Cheeky resting
It was a warm Saturday afternoon, watching the dogs sleep; I browsed the television channels searching for a movie to watch. The gate opened, the dogs barked, but stopped when Robert came into the lounge. He was holding a small puppy. Naturally intrigued, I jumped up and saw this tiny little dog sleeping comfortable in his arms.
As a child, Robert wanted to own a pit bull. I never had a large breed dog and dismissed his desire as a passing phase. I never realised that he was serious about this, but standing there watching the joy in his eyes as he held the little puppy, I could see it completed his happiness. Excited I asked him to let me hold him; he gently handed the sleeping puppy to me. He was beautiful, extremely cute, and obviously sleepy.
Robert asked me to name the dog. Stroking his little head, the name Isaiah came to mind. I loved the prophets from the bible, and the book Isaiah is one of my favourites. I suggested the name to Robert and he agreed. Isaiah had joined our family. I had never owed a large dog and quickly fearful thoughts entered my mind concerning my three Dachi's safety. I discussed my concerns with Robert, and we both agreed that we would train Isaiah to accept the girls, and all would be well.
Watching Robert I realised that having his own responsibility would do him the world of good and we were both overjoyed with the little sleeping puppy. The Dachi's were howling and jumping up and down trying to get a glimpse of this newcomer; we could hardly hear ourselves speak with all the noise the girls were making. Robert bent down and showed them this delightful little puppy. Unsure of what to do they sniffed and pawed him, but being small, he opened one eye slightly, and ignored them, he went back to sleep.
Cleo waiting for her food.

Cleo again Ears loves to sleep

Isaiah on his first day at home.
The Dachi's all females were envious. Being slightly larger than him helped with his safety. He was naturally inquisitive and immediately started exploring his new surroundings. The three dachi's and I followed little Isaiah cheerfully around the house, amused at his wobbly movements.
Robert left the dog at home and went shopping for supplies. It was important to get the correct nutritional food for our delightful little puppy. I took him outside to explore the spacious grounds; I stood back and watched as he gladly went about investigating his new home. The Dachi's followed him, still wary of the newcomer. It was a blessing, I thought, to have a new little puppy in the house; he would certainly make my life more enjoyable.
Robert returned and we all fussed over him as he enjoyed the new toys and doggy treats. Robert immediately started house training little Isaiah. He certainly learned fast and within two weeks he was house trained.
Yes, little Isaiah has certainly brought much needed joy into my life.

A tired puppy enjoying a nap.
A few weeks of everyday fun and enjoyment passed then, Isaiah became ill. I panicked; thoughts of this lovable little puppy dying frightened me. We immediately took him to the veterinary.
I watched as they drew blood from behind his little ear. A while later he was diagnosed with tick bite fever and treated accordingly. I tried not to look as the doctors administered two different injections. As they inserted the needle into his back, he howled. Hearing his cry almost broke my heart.
The next few days we monitored him closely and ensured that he had his medication regularly with nutritional meals. It was back to the vet the following week for a check up and we were ecstatic and relieved that he had made a full recovery. Our little Isaiah was healthy again.
He was growing up too fast, in just two months he had almost doubled in size. The Dachi's grew wearier of him and their distance as much as they could.


Back in action, it was summer, and the best place to be was in the swimming pool. Isaiah had his first swimming lesson, at first he was afraid, and we let him get used to the water by placing him on an inflatable chair. We noticed the uncertainty in his eyes and held onto him. Eventually he began to trust us and enjoyed the pool as much as we did.
I loved the little puppy that was almost three months old. We would often sit on the lawn, watching Isaiah, and the three Dachi's, giggling at his clumsiness. He would dart away from their growl and run behind me for protection. "Cheeky" being very attached to me had a difficult time accepting Isaiah. She was my protector, and whenever I was at home, she would sit with me and follow me around the house and garden. Cheeky still has a difficult time accepting Isaiah. On very rare occasions, she let's her guard down and plays with him. He loves the girls and enjoys playing, although they are old and grumpy at times.

Robert and Isaiah received an invitation to spend a weekend with his friend Wayne, who was the owner of Ariel, Isaiah's sister. They left on Saturday morning and returned on Sunday. My weekend was noticeably quiet, only the Dachi's to keep me company. They enjoyed the peace, I am sure they did not miss Isaiah. I missed the little boy; he had become such an important aspect of my life. I could not contain my joy when Robert arrived home safely with little Isaiah. He jumped onto my lap, and I knew he was happy to be home. Darting off inside to inspect whether all was the same as before. He soon found a bed and fell into a deep sleep.
Robert said he was tired; he played with his sister the entire weekend, and did not bother with people. Isaiah was excited at having some competition; Ariel kept him busy and being a pit bull she had the stamina to play for much longer periods than the Dachi's.
Isaiah was tired, not even the other dogs barking could wake him. The weekend away had exhausted him and he surrended to the much-needed rest.


Our little Isaiah was growing into a lovable dog, displaying a placid temperament. After three months the Dachi's still remained cautious however, they became used to having him around. I believe they will never fully accept him.
Isaiah loved treats, he was beginning to understand simple instructions, and when asked to sit or shake hands, he obediently did so. Robert would take him for long walks daily, which he thoroughly enjoyed. We had bought him several toys and he enjoyed playing games. Tug of war was a definite favourite game. I would hold the toy, and he would bite it trying to get it out of my hand.
We noticed that Isaiah did not enjoy being alone; he loved having people around him. Whatever room we went into he would follow. He had to make sure he was included in every new adventure. At times, I would watch him sleep and sit down at the computer to either write or play a game. He soon realised that I was not there and he would run up to me grab my arm and pull me away from the PC.
At one time, he became annoyed and almost jealous of with me working on the PC, so he chewed the ADSL line to prevent me from going there. After repairing this, I put a blanket on the floor, where he would gladly lie down next to me and let me continue to work. He monitored my time spent on the PC and when he felt bored, he would tug at my arm. We would both go outside and play a game; he enjoyed it when I threw a ball to him.
An affectionate but super watchdog is growing up rapidly and we look forward to spending many more happy enjoyable years with him.



Isaiah at five months.


Of course, our three little Dachi's are still favourites; they have been loyal and brought much pleasure into my life. Isaiah is my big boy. The three girls have accepted Isaiah. Although weary of his actions, they appear to be getting on well. I am sure they will spend many years together as friends.
I honestly can say, since Isaiah crept into my heart, my life has changed. He never fails to brighten each day.
I am sure we will be blessed with many years of companionship, and I certainly look forward to him growing old with me.

Robbie and Isaiah, they do love each other.

Robbie is responsible for taking Isaiah out walking. Going for walks is a favourite pastime, as soon as Robbie shows him the leash, Isaiah jumps up and down excited at the prospect of going out. Robbie told me how keen he is to explore all the new surrounding of the neighbourhood, but remains weary of other dogs.

Isaiah loves having his photo taken.


Cheeky, Ears and Cleo.

A special thanks to Yolandi for her thoughtfulness while writing this story.

Have a great and wonderful week and sending you loads of good wishes. May your dreams come true.
Your friend,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment